Escape to Paradise: Craigielaw's Lodge & Aberlady's Championship Golf!

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

Escape to Paradise: Craigielaw's Lodge & Aberlady's Championship Golf!

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Escape to Paradise: Craigielaw's Lodge & Aberlady's Championship Golf! and, believe me, it's a wilder ride than you might expect. I went, I saw, I tried to conquer the golf course (more on that later). But first… the lodge itself.

First Impressions and Accessibility - A Mixed Bag!

Okay, let's be real. Accessibility. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I'm always looking at how places treat folks who are. The website hints about facilities for disabled guests, but doesn't list all of them, and I didn't see a whole lot of specific details. The elevator is a definite plus (hello, weary traveler!), but I'd want to call ahead and REALLY quiz them about specifics like ramps, accessible bathrooms, and what the “facilities” actually are. Don't take the website's word for it, people! Call and check before you go.

The Rooms – Cozy and…Well, Let’s Get Real About the Bed!

Okay, the rooms themselves are pretty decent. Air conditioning, a mini-bar (essential!), and they even have robes and slippers. Blackout curtains? YES, PLEASE! Because let's face it, I went for a vacation. Gotta be able to sleep. The complimentary tea and coffee maker were a lifesaver for those early morning pre-golf jitters. However, the bed! The bed was a bit… firm. I'm not saying I needed a memory foam cloud, but my back was telling me a firm mattress was a choice, not a feature. So, keep that in mind if you have a sensitive back. On the plus side, you can definitely get some peace in the room because it has soundproofing. They also have non-smoking rooms, which is a huge win.

Internet – Because, You Know, Instagram

Free Wi-Fi, yay! In all rooms, indeed. Free Wi-Fi! Listen, staying connected is a necessity these day. Works. And hey, Internet access – LAN is also an option, if you're into that throwback thing.

Food & Drink – A Culinary Adventure (with ups and downs!)

Alright, the food. Listen, the breakfast buffet was pretty solid. Loads of choices, including the "Asian breakfast" option. Western breakfast options abounded, but I have to say I was disappointed that I didn't see the "Asian cuisine in restaurant" in use. It appears the restaurant doesn't serve "Asian cuisine". On more than one occasion, I found myself dreaming of an authentic plate of spring rolls. The coffee shop was a godsend for a quick caffeine fix. They have a bar (happy hour, whoop!), and a poolside bar (even better!). Room service [24-hour]? Believe me, I used it. Multiple times. The restaurants themselves offer A la carte in restaurant and Buffet in restaurant options.

The Golf! (And My Personal Debacle)

Now, the main event. The golf course. Aberlady's Championship Golf! Listen, I'm not exactly a golf pro. I'm more of a "swing wildly and hope for the best" kind of golfer. But the course… it's gorgeous! Jaw-dropping views, immaculately kept greens, and… well, it humbled me. Let's just say I spent more time in the rough than on the fairway. The car park [free of charge] was a win for my budget.

Ways to Relax – Spa Day! (and a bit of a moan) This is where Craigielaw Lodge truly shines. The Spa! The Spa/sauna! The Steamroom! The Swimming Pool [outdoor] with a Pool with view! The Foot bath! They offer everything. And the massage! Absolutely divine. My tense shoulders melted into a puddle of pure bliss. I got a Body scrub (felt amazing!), and the Body wrap was deeply relaxing. A massive win for the Craigielaw Lodge!

One tiny gripe: I wanted to hit the Gym/fitness room, but it was closed for maintenance. Ah well.

Cleanliness and Safety – Covid-era Considerations

I have to say, I was impressed. The Anti-viral cleaning products and Professional-grade sanitizing services were evident everywhere. Hand sanitizer readily available, the staff were definitely doing their jobs. The Rooms sanitized between stays. There was Physical distancing of at least 1 meter. I’m not going to lie, I was a little taken aback by the Room sanitization opt-out available thing; but, hey, choices are always good, even if I wouldn't have used it. I even noticed a Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. I felt relatively safe, and that's important these days.

Services and Conveniences – From Concierge to Luggage storage

The Concierge desk was super helpful. They had my luggage sorted. As an added bonus, Craigielaw Lodge provides a daily housekeeping. The Daily housekeeping, the Doorman, the dry cleaning, the ironing service, and the laundry service were great!

For the Kids – Family Friendliness

I didn't have kids with me, so I didn't get to test this out personally. But, the website does mention "Family/child friendly," and "Babysitting service", and "Kids facilities." Still, you're going to want to investigate the specifics, because the term "kid-friendly" can be pretty broad.

Getting Around – Easy as Pie

No worries here! Airport transfer, Taxi service, and Car park [on-site]. I drove, but it's good to know there are options. There is also Bicycle parking if you want to roam about on two wheels!

The Verdict - It is a Mixed Bag!

Would I go back? Absolutely! Especially for that spa experience and another shot at redemption on the golf course. But, I'd call ahead with a few more questions, especially in the area of accessibility. This place has a lot of potential, and with a few tweaks, it could be absolutely perfect.

Here is a persuasive pitch to Book

Craving an Escape? Craving Paradise? Craigielaw's Lodge and Aberlady's Championship Golf Await!

Tired of staring at the same walls? Yearning for a break that actually feels like a break? Then listen up! Craigielaw's Lodge isn't just a hotel; it's a breath of fresh air.

  • Tee Off in Style: Test your skills on the legendary Aberlady's Championship Golf course. (Don't worry, you don't have to be a pro to enjoy the stunning views!)
  • Spa Bliss: Melt your worries away with a luxurious spa day. Seriously, the massage alone is worth the trip.
  • Convenience is King : Free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour room service and more…
  • Safety First: You can dine in peace, knowing that Craigielaw Lodge is committed to exceptionally high standards of hygiene, to ensure you can relax with peace of mind.

Here's your deal: Book your escape today and get a complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival. Plus, we're offering a special rate to hotel guests on green fees. Don't miss out. This is your chance to reclaim your sanity, challenge yourself, and unwind in true paradise.

Book now at [Hotel Website]! Your escape awaits!

Unplug & Unwind: Nirvana Eco Camps, Palampur's Hidden Paradise

Book Now

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're heading to The Lodge at Craigielaw. Or, at least, I am. And I'm dragging you, virtually, along for the ride. This isn't some sterile itinerary, this is MY Craigielaw chaos. Expect the unexpected… mostly from myself.

Day 1: Arrival & Awkward Golf Adjacent-ness

  • 9:00 AM: Alarm blares. Ugh, can't even begin to function without approximately three cups of coffee and staring blankly into the middle distance for a solid fifteen minutes. Packing was mostly a blur of shoving things in a bag and hoping for the best. Did I bring enough socks? Who knows! Important things to remember: passport, toothbrush, and a vague understanding that I'm supposed to be playing golf.
  • 11:00 AM: Finally at the airport. Smooth(?)ish transit. The flight was fine unless you count the screaming toddler three rows back as a 'minor inconvenience' to my inner peace.
  • 12:00 PM: Arrive at Edinburgh Airport. Taxi booked, fingers crossed it arrives on time. The drive is a glorious green explosion. Sheep! So many sheep! And I swear, one of them gave me a side-eye. I feel judged.
  • 1:00 PM: Check-in at The Lodge. The view… breathtaking. Seriously. The Firth of Forth is all silvery and shimmery, the golf course laid out like a green velvet carpet… and just like that, the internal critic shouts, "Right, now you have to try and play on that…"
  • 2:00 PM: Lunch at the clubhouse. Ordered a burger and a pint of something dark and Scottish. The burger was decent, the pint was divine. The other golfers - all tanned, handsome, and looking generally competent. I, on the other hand, am sporting a pasty complexion and the distinct aura of, "I'm going to embarrass myself."
  • 3:00 PM: Attempt golf. My swing is… well, let's just say it needs work. My ball spent more time in the rough than on the fairway. One memorable shot involved me whiffing completely. Mortified! I blame the wind. Or the sheep. Or… everything. Still, the scenery is incredible.
  • 6:00 PM: Early dinner at the Lodge restaurant. Started chatting with a couple, lovely people from Yorkshire. Talked about the course, the weather… and their vastly superior golf game.
  • 7:00 PM: Relaxed a bit. Walked along the beach, the spray misting my face. The air is so clean. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight.
  • 8:00 PM: Headed to bed early to recharge for the next day.

Day 2: Golfing (and Other Crimes Against the Game of Golf)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Porridge! I feel like I'm actually living in a historical novel. Feeling slightly less terrified of golf than yesterday. Maybe.
  • 9:00 AM: Back on the course. Today's goal: Don't lose a ball. I quickly failed. The wind is even more brutal today. I can't understand how seasoned golfers deal with this on the daily.
  • 12:00 PM: After completely making a fool of myself on the course I went to the clubhouse for a cheeky lunch. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing this throughout the golfing trip. The restaurant staff is friendly though and it feels like a nice break from the shame of the course.
  • 2:00 PM: Walked the course again. Tried to remember the places I was failing yesterday. I felt a bit bad because there was a group of experienced guys golfing and they seemed to keep getting stuck behind me.
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner was at the restaurant again. I didn't feel as guilty for ordering the steak this time. The service and food were amazing and I feel like I'm starting to acclimate to the vibe.
  • 7:00 PM: I finished the evening with a whiskey and a few games of pool in the bar. I'm starting to get into the local culture and feeling relaxed.
  • 8:00 PM: Rested for the night.

Day 3: For the Love of God, Please Let Me Hit the Ball Properly

  • 8:00 AM: One more shot at the course. This time, I will actually attempt to read the wind. This time, I might try to aim at the green. This time… okay, let's not get carried away.
  • 10:00 AM: Actually had a decent drive! The sun is shining, and I'm actually having fun. Maybe this golf thing isn't so bad after all.
  • 12:00 PM: A final, slightly better, lunch. At least, I stopped feeling like I was ruining the experience for everyone else.
  • 2:00 PM: Walked back to my room and sat on the balcony, staring at the sea. The wind finally died down.
  • 4:00 PM: Checked out. Said goodbye to the sheep. Promised myself I'd come back and try again.

Epilogue:

Driving back to Edinburgh I'm already experiencing a strange mix of relief and nostalgia. The golf was… an experience. But the scenery, the people, the sheer Scottishness of it all? Absolutely worth it. I'll be back. I might even try to actually learn how to golf. Maybe.

Escape to Paradise: Your West Palm Beach Oasis Awaits!

Book Now

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

Escape to Paradise?! Craigielaw Lodge & Aberlady's Golf... Let's Get Real (and Maybe a Little Tipsy)

Okay, So, Craigielaw. Is It *Actually* Paradise? Or Just Another Golf Course Trying to Sell Me Expensive Tea?

Paradise? Whoa, hold your horses. Let's not get carried away. Look, the views are *stunning*. Seriously, breath-taking. Looking at the Firth of Forth... yeah, it's pretty special. But, let's be honest, I went in expecting a perfectly manicured, Stepford-Wives-esque experience. It wasn't. And honestly? That's what made it *better*. One morning, I woke up and the fog was *thick*. You could barely see your hand in front of your face. Perfect golfing day, right? Wrong. Turns out, the fog horn on the Aberlady Bay was *loud*. Like, ear-splittingly loud. I swear, it went off every five minutes. Made me jump out of my skin every single time! But you know what? It was also kinda… charming. Like a grumpy old sea captain yelling at the sky. And then, when the fog *finally* cleared (hours later, after a rather generous breakfast), the sun was glorious. It was a rollercoaster of weather, and frankly, I loved it. Much more interesting than sterile perfection!

The Golf Course – Aberlady. Championship, They Say. Should I Be Terrified? Because I'm Not Exactly Rory McIlroy.

Terrified? Hmm... well, let me put it this way. My handicap is… *ahem*… "optimistic." (Let's call it that). Aberlady will *challenge* you. That wind! Dear God, that wind. It'll steal your hat, your ball, and possibly, your will to live. No, seriously, I lost three balls on the 7th. Three! One was a beautiful, pristine Titleist Pro V1... gone! Vanished! Into the windy abyss. But here's the thing: it's challenging in a *good* way. It forces you to think. To strategize. Okay, maybe 'strategize' is a strong word for my game. But it made me appreciate the beauty of the course, even when I was hacking through the rough for the fifth time. And the views… again with the views! Even a duffer like myself can appreciate that. Just… bring extra balls. And maybe a hip flask. (Not that I would *ever* condone that.)

The Lodge Itself - What's the Vibe? Is it all stuffy silver service, or can a scruffy golfer feel welcome?

This is where Craigielaw really shines, actually. The Lodge? Fantastic. Relaxed, warm, and welcoming. Yes, there's a certain level of quality, don't get me wrong. But it's not pretentious. The staff were so genuinely friendly. Like real, actual people who seemed to *enjoy* their job. I remember one day, I’d just finished a terrible round of golf, and my mood was... let’s say, low. I was wandering around the bar, looking miserable. Then, this lovely lass behind the bar, saw me, gave me a knowing smile, and started pouring me a pint of Guinness. No questions asked. Just… a knowing look, a foamy pint, and a silent understanding of a golfer's woes. That act alone made my day better. Plus, the food! The food at Craigielaw Lodge deserves its own standing ovation. Amazing. The steak was unreal.

Food and Drink - Is it Worth the Price Tag? (Because Scottish Hotels Can Be a Bit…Pricey.)

Okay, let's be honest. Scottish hotels? Often pricey. And sometimes, the food… well, let's just say it can be hit or miss. But Craigielaw? Worth it. Absolutely. The breakfast alone is worth the trip. The full Scottish breakfast! It was epic, and probably added a few inches to my waistline, but who cares? I’m on holiday! I remember one morning, I had *at least* two helpings of the haggis. I'm not the *biggest* haggis fan, usually. But at Craigielaw, it was… good. Really good! And the evening meals? Top notch. The chef clearly knows what he's doing. Even the simple pub fare was delicious. Plus, you get a roaring fire in the bar. I feel myself getting nostalgic just thinking about it. Yes, it's an investment, but you're investing in an experience, not just a meal.

Is there anything to do *besides* golf? (Because, you know, even golfers need a break… sometimes.)

Ah ha! The question of all questions! Besides playing golf (which, by the way, takes up a lot of time), there's actually plenty to do. The beach is right there! You can walk along the beach, wander around Aberlady, which is a charming little village. Visit Edinburgh is only a short drive away, too. One day, I wandered down to the beach and *tried* to take a scenic photo. It was a disaster! I kept getting distracted by the wind, the waves, the seabirds… And my photos were rubbish. But the experience was amazing. The sea air, the vastness of the sky… It was a good contrast to my terrible score at the golf course earlier that day! So yes! You can walk. You can breathe. You can even just… be. Which is the true luxury, isn't it?

Any Gripes? Did Anything Ruin the Vibe? Because Nothing's Perfect, Right?

Okay, honesty time. This *isn't* a perfect experience. The WiFi in the rooms can be a bit… patchy. If you *need* to be connected 24/7 (and, let's be honest, who doesn't these days?), you might get frustrated. And the foghorn… let's just say it made me feel like I was starring in my own personal nautical disaster movie every morning. It was LOUD! Also, one minor thing, the shower in my room was a bit… unpredictable with its temperature. One minute, you're enjoying hot water, the next, you're enduring the chill. But, honestly? These were minor hiccups. They just added to the character of the place. They gave it a soul. Plus, who wants perfect anyway? Blah!

Would You Go Back? (And Would You Recommend It?)

In a heartbeat. Absolutely. 100%. Even if the wind tries to steal my trousers *again*. Even if the foghorn gives me permanent hearing damage. Craigielaw Lodge and Aberlady… they're special. It's not just a golf trip; it's an *experience*. It's a reminder to slow down, to breathe, to appreciate the small things (like a good pint of Guinness, or a well-cooked steak, or even a sunny afternoon without the wind). I'm already plotting my return. Just… need to save up for more golf balls! And maybe invest in a pair of earplugs for the foghorn. But yeah, seriously… goSearchotel

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom

The Lodge at Craigielaw and Golf Courses Aberlady United Kingdom