
Phnom Penh's BEST Kept Secret: Yuentai Hotel & Apartments!
Phnom Penh's BEST Kept Secret: Yuentai Hotel & Apartments! - My Brain Took a Vacation (and So Should Yours!)
Okay, listen up, you travel-weary souls! I've been to Phnom Penh. I've sweated buckets, eaten things I couldn't pronounce, and navigated tuk-tuks that felt like a death-defying rollercoaster ride. And amidst all that glorious chaos, I stumbled upon a secret. A gem. A place that actually made me relax. Forget the temples for a moment. Forget the genocide museum. Forget all the "must-sees" on the itinerary - because you NEED to know about… Yuentai Hotel & Apartments!
(And I’m not kidding. This place is seriously good. You can stop reading reviews now. Actually, wait, read mine. It's kinda, sorta, maybe, the best…)
First, the Accessibility. Let's Get Real (and Wheelchair-Friendly!)
Okay, let's be straight: navigating Phnom Penh can be a challenge. Potholes. Uneven sidewalks. Tuk-tuk drivers with a death wish. But Yuentai? They've absolutely got you covered on the accessibility front. Wheelchair accessible? Absolutely! Imagine, finally, a place where you don't have to wrestle with stairs or worry about narrow doorways. This is a huge win for anyone with mobility issues. They also have some dedicated facilities for disabled guests, which is a huge relief. Getting around in Cambodia is HARD, and this hotel makes it EASY. Win! Accessibility: Nailed it.
Internet: Because We NEED It
Okay, let's be blunt: I'm addicted to the internet. I need constant Wi-Fi, and I need it to be FAST. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Check! Internet access – LAN? Check! Wi-Fi in public areas? Check, check, check! I practically lived online while I was there, researching my next adventure, posting Instagram stories (because, duh), and generally being the digital nomad I’m pretending to be. Zero complaints. Internet services are excellent, and I got a lot of work done. Phew!
Let's Talk Relaxation (Because You Deserve It!)
This is where Yuentai REALLY shines. They understand the art of chill.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Okay, the pool with a view? STUNNING. Picture this: scorching Cambodian sun, you're floating in crystal-clear water, and the cityscape is just… there. Pure bliss. I spent an unhealthy amount of time in that pool. Someone had to drag me out for dinner.
- Spa/sauna and the Body Wrap Dream: Okay, the spa. I indulged. Full stop. Body scrub? Check. Body wrap? Double-check. Massage? Oh, honey, YES. I usually hate getting a body wrap. It feels like being a burrito. But the treatment and therapists were phenomenal. I was transformed. More relaxed than I have been in YEARS. (And I'm a highly-strung person.) Sauna, Steamroom, and the Spa are all winners. Just book it.
- Fitness Center: Let's be honest. I went in, I looked at the equipment, and then I went back to the pool. But, hey, at least they have it there, right? So, if you're the type who actually enjoys exercise on vacation, the Gym/fitness is a great plus.
- Foot bath: Honestly, my feet deserved this. Walking around Phnom Penh is a workout in itself. The foot bath was the perfect reward for my weary soles.
Cleanliness and Safety: Breathe Easy (Literally)
This is critical. Especially these days. Yuentai takes hygiene seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products? Yes!
- Daily disinfection in common areas? You betcha!
- Hand sanitizer everywhere? Uh-huh!
- Rooms sanitized between stays? Absolutely!
- Professional-grade sanitizing services? Yep!
- Staff trained in safety protocol? Of course!
- Hot water linen and laundry washing? You betcha!
They are doing everything right. They also had a Doctor/nurse on call and a first aid kit, which gave me real peace of mind.
They even offered Room sanitization opt-out available, which shows a real appreciation for guests' individual preferences. And the peace of mind knowing there's a safe dining setup and sanitized kitchen and tableware items makes all the difference.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fuel the Adventure!
Okay, let's eat!
- Restaurants: The restaurants at Yuentai are excellent. The food is delicious. I basically tried everything on the menu.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: Delicious! I just have to add this.
- Western cuisine in restaurant: Delicious! I just have to add this.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Oh, the breakfast! A glorious spread of everything you could possibly want to start your day. I'm talking Asian dishes, Western options, fresh fruit, the works. I spent a long time at that buffet.
- Breakfast in room: A lifesaver on those days when you just can’t face leaving your comfy bed.
- Poolside bar: Cocktails. Sunshine. Bliss. Need I say more?
- Snack bar: Perfect for a quick bite after a long day of exploring.
- Room service [24-hour]: Because sometimes you just want to eat in your pajamas.
Services and Conveniences: They've Thought of Everything!
This is where Yuentai goes above and beyond:
- Concierge: Always helpful, always friendly.
- Currency exchange: Super convenient.
- Luggage storage: Essential for those pre/post-flight shopping sprees.
- Elevator: Crucial for those of us who aren’t super keen on climbing endless flights of stairs.
- Air conditioning in public area: Crucial in the sticky Phnom Penh heat.
- Air conditioning: Because you’ll need it in the rooms.
- Daily housekeeping: My room was always spotless.
- Laundry service/Dry cleaning/Ironing service: They handled all my laundry.
- Business facilities: If you must work, they have you covered: Xerox/fax in business center, Meeting/banquet facilities, and Meetings.
For the Kids (and the Kid in All of Us!)
- Family/child friendly: They're definitely welcoming to families.
- Babysitting service: Very helpful if you want some alone time.
Rooms: Your Personal Oasis
Seriously, the rooms are fantastic.
- Air conditioning: Needed.
- Blackout curtains: Perfect for sleeping in.
- Extra long bed: A huge plus!
- Safe box: I felt that my stuff was secure.
- Desk: I got some work done at the desk.
- Refrigerator: So for snacks.
- Coffee/tea maker: Essential for those mornings when you need a little pick-me-up.
- Complimentary tea/Free bottled water: Small touches that make all the difference.
- Private bathroom: Always good to have.
- Shower: And the shower was great!
- Soundproofing: Very important.
- Wi-Fi [free]
Getting Around:
- Airport transfer: Yes!
- Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site]: Easy.
- Taxi service: Easy to arrange.
A Messy, Truthful Moment
Okay, real talk. I am a ridiculously picky traveler. I overthink everything. I get stressed. But Yuentai? It just… worked. It wasn't perfect, of course. There were a few minor hiccups (like, they forgot my extra pillow request. The tragedy!). But honestly, those tiny imperfections just added to the charm. This isn’t a sterile, corporate hotel. It's got heart. It's got soul. And it's a place where you can actually relax, even in the crazy, beautiful chaos that is Phnom Penh.
Important Details I Might Have Forgotten (but are still important)
- Cashless payment service: Very helpful.
- Check-in/out [express/private]: Quick and easy.
- Front desk [24-hour]: ALWAYS someone there to help.
- Non-smoking rooms: Clean and comfortable.
The Offer: Your Phnom Penh Escape Awaits!
Tired of the same old travel routine? Craving an escape that's both adventurous AND relaxing? Then book your stay at Yuentai Hotel & Apartments NOW!
Here's what you get:
- Unbeatable Comfort: Luxurious rooms with all the amenities you need (and probably some you didn't know you wanted!).
- Relaxation Reimagined: A stunning pool, a world-class spa, and all the downtime you deserve.
- **Absolute Peace

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your pristine, robotic itinerary. This is a live and unfiltered deep dive into my Cambodian adventure, specifically the YUETAI Hotel & Apartments in Phnom Penh. Expect chaos. Expect me to get lost. Expect me to fall in love with a random street cat and probably get food poisoning. Let's go!
YUETAI Hotel & Apartments: My Phnom Penh Pilgrimage (A Very Honest Account)
(Day 1: Arrival & Existential Dread… But with a Pool)
8:00 AM (ish) - The Long Haul: Ugh. The flight felt like a purgatory. I swear, they shrink the seat size every year. Finally landed in Phnom Penh, sweating like a pig in a sauna. The airport itself is… well, it’s an airport. Efficient enough, though the passport control guy looked like he'd seen a thousand lost souls – which, considering the tourist traffic, he probably has.
9:30 AM - Taxi Troubles & Tiny Triumph: Haggling with the taxi driver was an Olympic sport. Apparently, "Farang price" is a real thing. Finally got him down a few dollars. Score! Arrival at YUETAI. First impression: The lobby is… clean. Definitely clean. A welcome breath of (slightly stale) air. The staff? Surprisingly friendly, bless their hearts.
10:30 AM - Apartment Revelation & Immediate Regret (Kinda): Okay, the apartment itself is pretty swanky. Kitchen, living room, bedroom… all very… practical. BUT. The first REAL problem immediately hit me: the air conditioning. Is it on? Is it broken? Is it just… weak? This could be problematic in a city that's basically a giant, steaming rice cooker. Then came the even bigger problem: the view of the back alley. Ah well, you can't win them all, can you?
11:30 AM - Poolside Nirvana (Almost): The pool! Oh, the pool! It's a lifesaver folks, a damn lifesaver. Jumped right in. Chilled out. Felt human again. Then the sun decided to turn up the heat and the existential dread of the flight started bubbling back up. Should I be doing more with my life? Am I even enjoying this trip? But then I thought, "Hey, I'm in Cambodia. I can always drown myself in the pool later".
1:00 PM - Exploration Attempt & Food Poisoning Warning Signs: Took a stroll down the street, got immediately accosted by a swarm of tuk-tuk drivers. "Hello, sir! Tuk-tuk? Where you go?" "No, thank you" "Maybe tomorrow?" "Possibly never!" Anyway, tried to find a local restaurant. Found a very "local" restaurant. Ate something. Delicious… But then… the first twinge of stomach unrest. Oh dear. This could be the beginning of the end.
3:00 PM - Nap, the Destroyer of Days: This could have been the day's highlight. My stomach decided to continue its protest. I had to curl up and take a nap. This basically wrote off the rest of the day’s exploring. The nap came with its own set of problems. The air con was still failing, hence I woke up in a sweaty mess. So, I ordered room service. No, I did not feel better.
7:00 PM - Dinner Disaster & Early Night: Got up and decided to eat in with the room service. It wasn’t great, but I ate it anyway. Now, I will go to bed with the hope that the situation will be better tomorrow. I need sleep!
(Day 2: Temples, Tuk-Tuks & the Triumph of the Tums)
8:00 AM - Awoken with a mission: To avoid getting sick again, I had to avoid any kind of risks. My plan: a simple breakfast in my YUETAI room.
11:00 AM - Wat Phnom & the Tuk-Tuk Tango: Right. Temples. Starting with Wat Phnom. The crowds are massive and relentless, but the temple itself is actually pretty beautiful. The problem? Getting there. The Tuk-tuk driver? A legend. He negotiated traffic like he was born in it. He also tried to charge me double, but I remembered my haggling training. We both ended up exhausted, but that was a win-win situation.
1:00 AM - Lunch Roulette & Stomach Revisit: Another day, another dining experience. This time, I played it safe: a place that looked clean and served something that resembled boiled chicken. I was getting paranoid. My stomach… felt ok, but it was a very tense ok. It was like a minefield of potential doom.
3:00 AM - Royal Palace & Silver Pagoda: The beauty is impressive. The gold is blinding. Definitely worth a visit, despite the heat and the ever-present feeling of being a sweaty tourist. The Silver Pagoda, however, was genuinely awe-inspiring. I felt… something. A sense of peace, maybe. Or maybe it was just the after-effects of the bland chicken.
6:00 PM - Massage Mania & Street Food Temptation: Back to the YUETAI to schedule a massage. I figured a massage and a cool room would be a balm for all the stress. And then I wandered back out to the street and all the glorious street food beckoned. Deep-fried crickets, anyone? No. But the smell of grilled meat… it was a siren song. I succumbed. I had a single, small dumpling. And I watched and waited.
6:30 PM - Still Alive! (Yay!): Still alive. I'm really, really happy. No pain. No suffering. The YUETAI really is a great place to chill. Definitely worth it so far.
7:00 PM - Evening exploration: Just a simple evening stroll to enjoy the environment. The city is amazing.
(Day 3: S-21 & the Weight of History)
9:00 AM - Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21): Okay, this is where it gets heavy. S-21 is a former high school turned prison under the Khmer Rouge regime. It's… brutal. Gut-wrenching. And necessary. Walking through those rooms, seeing the faces, reading the stories… it’s an experience that stays with you. I felt utterly humbled by the resilience of the human spirit, and completely disgusted at humanity. I left feeling drained.
12:00 PM - The Killing Fields (Choeung Ek): The killing fields. More horror, more sadness. The silence is deafening. The memorial stupa… it's hard to describe. All the emotions converged: sadness, anger, disbelief. You can't leave here unchanged. I don’t have any more words.
2:00 PM - Back to YUETAI & Existential Crisis 2.0: Needed to get back to my apartment. Needed air conditioning. Needed to just… be. The weight of the morning’s experiences was crushing. I just sat there in the apartment and stared at the ceiling. I wondered if I was doing it right.
*4:00 PM - Poolside Rebirth: Back in the pool. Needed to wash the pain away. The water was a balm. Floating. Staring at the sky. The world.
7:00 PM - Dinner: It was quiet. I ate something plain. I went to bed.
(Day 4 & 5: (The Messy Blur of Travel…)
4:00 PM - Departure
The Rest is a Blur
I can't even begin to summarize these days. There were tuk-tuks, there was coffee, there was rain, there was laughing. There were moments of joy, there were moments of profound sadness. There was me, wandering around Phnom Penh, getting lost, eating things I shouldn’t, and, mostly importantly, learning about myself and the world around me. YUETAI was my base, my refuge, my sometimes-frustrating, sometimes-perfect apartment in the center of it all.
Final Verdict on YUETAI & Phnom Penh:
- YUETAI: Decent. Not luxurious, but clean, safe, and the pool is a lifesaver. The staff is lovely. Could use some better AC in my particular apartment, and a slightly better view wouldn't hurt.
- Phnom Penh: Chaotic, beautiful, heartbreaking, and utterly captivating. Go there. Experience it. Just… maybe pack some Pepto-Bismol.

Yuentai Hotel & Apartments: Phnom Penh's "Best Kept Secret"? (Let's Get Real)
Okay, so "best kept secret" is thrown around a lot, right? Let's see if Yuentai actually lives up to the hype (or just the desperate Google search). I've been there. I've survived. I'm here to spill the (slightly lukewarm) beans.
1. Is Yuentai REALLY a hidden gem? Or just… hidden?
Honestly? It's more like a well-hidden slightly tarnished silver. You won't stumble upon it. I mean, I didn't. I found it via… well, let's just say I spent an agonizing amount of time comparing hotel prices and desperately hoping for something *other* than a cockroach convention. It’s tucked away, which is a bonus for peace & quiet. But "gem"? That's… ambitious. Depends on your definition of "gem" – mine's pretty low, I'm from New York, so bugs don't scare me as much anymore.
2. What are the rooms ACTUALLY like? (Beyond the Insta-filtered photos)
Alright, let's be honest. The photos online are… generous. My room? It was… adequate. Clean-ish. The AC worked, which is GOLD in Phnom Penh, believe me. The bed... let's just say it wasn't the Ritz, but I managed to sleep. The bathroom? Functional. Slightly questionable water pressure. One evening, I *swore* the showerhead looked like it was about to sprout a beard. But hey, it did the job. And there was a balcony! A small, slightly dusty balcony, but a balcony nonetheless, perfect for observing the street life (or, you know, hiding from the heat). Think "basic" with a side of “maybe this needs some touching up.”
3. Okay, the pool? Is it actually swim-able?
The pool… Ah, the pool. This is where things get interesting. First off, it *is* there. That's a win in my book. Second, it's not Olympic-sized. Third, swim-ability is subjective. I went in. I survived. It felt…clean enough. The lighting at night is…well, let's just say romantic lighting is more likely from the ambient glow of the city than the pool lighting. Occasionally you might find a (very small) leaf or two. Think less "resort oasis" and more… private wading area. It's serviceable. I spent a whole afternoon in it, and I didn’t get sick immediately afterward, so, you know, success!
4. What about the staff? Are they…friendly?
Mostly. Look, they're Cambodian. Which means generally warm and helpful. There's that cultural thing, the smile (which is often genuine here!). They're not going to be your best mate, but they'll help you. The check-in was relatively smooth. They didn't stare when I arrived drenched from a tuk-tuk in a monsoon. They helped me get a taxi when I left. Basic points for that. I had a late checkout request and they accommodated (with a bit of a 'look' - but who am I to judge? I'd hate a late checkout too). They seem like good people, with a hint of "we've seen it all" in their eyes.
5. The location: is it CONVENIENT or a pain to get around?
This is where Yuentai gets its points. It’s… surprisingly well-located. It’s not *right* in the heart of things, which is good. You're not going to be deafened by the traffic at 3 AM. But it's a short tuk-tuk ride to the Royal Palace, the Riverside, and the central market. Tuk-tuks are *everywhere*. You’ll be okay. I walked to a delicious noodle shop down the street (seriously, find it, it's worth it). So, location? Solid.
6. The food? Is there even food?
Okay, the Yuentai's own restaurant... Let's be honest: I didn't eat there. The reviews are… mixed. I was too busy exploring the culinary wonders of Phnom Penh. (Amok, people. Eat the amok!). There are tons of delicious street food options and plenty of restaurants within (short) walking distance. I'm not saying the Yuentai kitchen is bad – I'm saying I prioritized the amazing food scene of Phnom Penh. The lack of a compelling in-house dining option gives me absolutely no reason to eat there. That said, they did offer breakfast. I saw what they were serving and *noped* right out of there. The restaurant seemed empty for the entire time I was there. Make of that what you will. I'm starving just thinking about it.
7. The "Best Kept Secret" claim: Is it accurate?
Okay, time for the REAL. No. It's not the *best* kept secret. It's a decent place to crash in Phnom Penh. It's budget-friendly (which, let's face it, is a major selling point). It's located in an area with food aplenty. It's quiet. The AC works, and that's all I really needed at the end of a long day of battling tuk-tuk drivers trying to rip me off. Is it the *most* luxurious? Nope. Is it perfect? Far from it. But for the price, and if you're not looking for the Four Seasons, it’s a solid option. Think of it as a comfortable base camp. You can build on that… I did! I enjoyed the city. I came back not feeling robbed, that I'll take it. "Best kept secret" is a bit of a stretch. "Hidden gem" maybe not, but it’s worthy and I suspect it’s a great bang for your buck.
8. My Most Memorable Moment? (Prepare Yourself)
Okay, this is where it gets a bit…personal. I’m a notorious over-packer. I mean, suitcases are my ultimate test of will power. I brought, I kid you not, six pairs of shoes. In the middle of my stay, the handle on my suitcase decided to… quit. Detached completely. Now, imagine me, standing there, luggage exploded on the floor, with all my shoes. I managed to fix it, with duct tape. It wasn't pretty. The maintenance guy looked at me and his expressions were priceless. It was theHotels With Kitchenettes

