
Escape to Colombia's Hidden Gem: Duruelo Villa de Leyva's Luxurious Retreat
Escape to Duruelo Villa de Leyva: Is This Colombian Gem Really Worth It? A Brutally Honest Review (And a Few Tears, Maybe)
Alright, amigos. Let's talk about Duruelo Villa de Leyva. They call it a "luxurious retreat," a "hidden gem." And, well, after spending a week lost in its cobbled streets and soaking in its, shall we say, unique charm, I'm here to give you the lowdown. Buckle up, because this is going to be less PR puff piece and more, "Did I just spend a week in a postcard?" kind of vibe.
First Impressions (and a Panic Attack or Two): Accessibility & Getting There
Okay, let's address the elephant in the room: getting to Villa de Leyva. It's not exactly around the corner. Pro-tip: If you're flying in (and you should fly in, because those roads…), arrange for an airport transfer. Duruelo does offer one – a life-saver after that long journey. (Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Taxi service, Valet parking) The roads themselves… well, let's just say if you're prone to motion sickness, pack the Dramamine.
Accessibility: They say they have Facilities for disabled guests, and I saw a few, potentially helpful, ramps. But honestly? Villa de Leyva itself is a historic town, which means cobblestones galore. Wheelchair accessibility is… challenging. (Wheelchair accessible) Duruelo itself is better equipped than the town.
Inside the Walls: Rooms, Glorious Rooms (and Minor Obsessions)
I'm a room person. I love a good room. And the rooms at Duruelo? Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. I was immediately charmed. The beds were huge, the décor was a blend of rustic and refined, and the blackout curtains…oh, the blackout curtains! They saved my sleep schedule. (Colombia time zones are… different). I particularly loved the bathtub with the view (if you booked the right room, a little on the expensive side). My room had a little balcony perfect for sipping complimentary tea and pretending I was some kind of sophisticated travel writer (ahem). (Free bottled water, Coffee/tea maker, Mini bar, Wake-up service)
The Internet Situation: The Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! promised was mostly a reality. It was good, not lightning fast. Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas. Again, I was there to relax. Not to upload HD videos.
Food, Glorious Food (and a Questionable Steak…Or Two)
This is where Duruelo almost lost me. Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
The breakfast buffet was decent, offering a good selection of Western and Colombian options. (Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant) The coffee/tea in restaurant was fine. The restaurants themselves? Hit or miss. I had some genuinely delicious dishes, followed by a steak that felt like I was chewing on a boot. But the poolside bar was a winner. They serve amazing cocktails, especially during Happy hour. The food options weren't exactly gourmet, but a cocktail and a few snacks by the pool is heaven on earth. (Poolside bar, Coffee shop, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant) The 24-hour room service was a lifesaver on those late-night hunger pangs. (Room service [24-hour], Bottle of water)
One thing I really appreciated was the attention to hygiene. The staff was incredibly diligent about **Cleanliness and safety: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment. ** I felt very safe.
Spa Days and Relaxation: My Personal Breakdown (in a Good Way!)
Okay, this is where Duruelo redeemed itself. Spa/Sauna, Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]
The Spa is gorgeous. Seriously. I spent an entire afternoon getting a massage, a body scrub, and basically melting into a puddle of blissful relaxation. The Pool with view? Stunning. The staff were amazing. I had a small hiccup…I think I managed to get a little too relaxed. During my body wrap, I fell asleep but I woke up with some oil in my hair. My hair was a mess but I didn't even care. When I asked, they were very apologetic and compensated with a complimentary drink and a coupon for a free massage!! (Massage) I think I found my happy place. The Sauna and Steamroom were also excellent. The Gym/fitness was well equipped if you're into that sort of thing, (I'm not, but it looked nice!). (Swimming pool [outdoor])
Things to Do (Beyond Blissing Out):
Villa de Leyva itself is a treasure trove of history and charm. Things to do: Shrine, Terrace, Outdoor venue for special events. You can spend hours wandering the cobblestone streets, admiring the colonial architecture, and visiting the main square. The hotel can help with Meetings, Seminars and Business facilities if you really cannot escape work. The hotel also offers Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal, Audio-visual equipment for special events for families.
Services and Conveniences: The Details That Matter
Services and conveniences: Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center. The Concierge was incredibly helpful with recommendations and bookings. The Daily housekeeping kept things spotless. The Cash withdrawal on site was convenient. Laundry service was a godsend.
Cleanliness and Safety: Breathing Easy
In these times, this is essential. Duruelo takes hygiene seriously. I felt incredibly safe. (Cleanliness and safety: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms.
The Verdict: Should You Escape to Duruelo?
Okay, so, is it perfect? No. But is it worth it? Absolutely. (Proposal spot) If you're looking for a relaxing getaway in a beautiful setting, with a side of colonial charm and exceptional spa services, Duruelo is
**Hotel Shankar Ujjain: Your Luxurious Spiritual Retreat Awaits!**
Alright, buckle up, buttercup, because you're about to dive headfirst into my version of a Villa de Leyva adventure, specifically at the Hospederia Centro de Convenciones Duruelo. Forget those pristine itineraries, this is the real deal – a little chaotic, a whole lotta opinionated, and guaranteed to make you feel like you’re right there with me, sweating it out (probably).
Duruelo Debacle: A Rambling Itinerary (with a healthy dose of griping)
Day 1: Arrival & Immediate Regret (Mostly Kidding)
- Morning: Bogotá Airport – Ugh. Airports. Enough said. After the usual herding of cattle (aka, the public), a cramped bus ride, fueled by questionable empanadas (I think they were chicken, but who knows?) and a nagging feeling of having forgotten something important. Turns out, it was the sunscreen. Already burning! (And yes, my bad for not checking the weather before I leave!)
- Afternoon: Arrival in Villa de Leyva! Finally. The cobblestone streets are charming, I give them that. Duruelo looks alright from the outside, but… the lobby is a bit… echoing. Like, you could scream and no one would care, which, honestly, is tempting after that bus ride. Check-in was slow. Very slow. The desk clerk seemed genuinely bewildered by the concept of a guest. My room? Smaller than expected… and the decor? Let's just say I've seen more personality in a concrete block.
- Evening: Exploration! Wandered the Plaza Mayor, massive, beautiful, and quickly became the epicenter of my desire for a cold beer. Found a cute little tienda selling local goodies (including, mercifully, some sunscreen). Dinner at a restaurant with outdoor seating, tried the ajiaco (Colombian chicken and potato soup). Delicious. Absolutely delicious. Started the evening with a view of a cathedral and quickly morphed into eavesdropping on a couple arguing about something that I will never understand (the joys of travel) then ended with a beer. Maybe two.
Day 2: Cobalt Cobblestones & Culinary Crises
- Morning: Attempted to find a decent coffee shop. Failed. The coffee in Colombia is legendary, right? Wrong. Or at least, the stuff near Duruelo was tragically weak. Ended up at a bakery, snagging a surprisingly good pan de queso (cheese bread), which I devoured shamefully in about 20 seconds flat. Decided to walk the whole Plaza and soak up the sun. It's really something.
- Afternoon: The Duruelo Disaster: Poolside Panic. Okay, the pool at Duruelo looked promising in the photos, right? Wrong again. It was small. Crowded. And the water… frankly, I'm not sure what was in it. But something wasn't right. Spent a miserable hour attempting to relax, then promptly fled. Decided to wander further. So many places to see.
- Evening: This is where things hit rock bottom. First off, my attempts to eat some simple food went south. I found a restaurant that had what looked to be burgers but the bread was a bit… stiff. I attempted to eat one anyway. It was a disaster. Then the power went out. Then the rain started, but just for a moment. Decided to wander back to the Plaza and maybe eat somewhere else.
Day 3: The Real Duruelo & a Glimmer of Hope (and a lot of sun)
- Morning: After two days of lukewarm water and an early morning where I just woke up and had to write some stuff, there was a small improvement in the shower water. But I was worried. The place wasn't exactly inspiring. But the sun has a funny way of altering your mood. Still, it's a good thing I brought my own shampoo, because the stuff provided was… well, let's just say it wasn't going to win any awards.
- Afternoon: I decided to wander again and have a meal that wasn't from the hotel. Found a small place where I could get a chicken and rice which was a lot better. And I went and did some shopping.
- Evening: Went back to the plaza. It was a lot less fun to look at. Maybe it was the exhaustion or the lack of social interaction, but I just wasn't very excited by anything. Maybe on the way out, I could find a way to extend it. More time, more money, more of… something.
Day 4: Departure & Mixed Emotions (More Regret)
- Morning: Packed. Said a hasty goodbye to the concrete block of a room. The bus ride back to Bogotá was somehow worse than the first one. Maybe it was the lingering regret about my terrible food choices.
- Afternoon: Arrived at the Bogotá airport, and that airport chaos ensued. The airport restaurants were even more of a rip-off than I remembered. Boarded the plane, exhausted, slightly sunburned, and yearning for a decent cup of coffee.
Quirky Observations & Emotional Rollercoasters:
- The Cobblestones: OMG, the cobblestones. They're beautiful, yes, but also a death trap for ankles. Walk carefully!
- Loneliness: The worst part about traveling is usually the boredom and the isolation. I tried to talk to people but with my terrible Spanish, I only managed to communicate about a quarter of what I wanted.
- Duruelo's Charm (or Lack Thereof): It has potential. The staff? Well, let's say communication wasn't their strong suit. The pool area was a disappointment. The location itself isn't bad.
- Food Adventures: Food, glorious food. Good and bad and mediocre all rolled into one.
- The Constant Need for Good Coffee: Still no good, but at least it was free.
- Overall Mood: A spectrum! From "Wow, this is amazing!" to "Why did I come here?", interspersed with moments of pure, unadulterated frustration.
Honest Takeaway:
Villa de Leyva is beautiful. It really is. Duruelo? Well, it's a place to stay. Just lower your expectations, pack your own coffee, and be prepared for an adventure. And for the love of all that is holy, learn some basic Spanish.
Would I go back? Maybe. With a different hotel, a better grasp of the language, and a much sunnier disposition. Until then, I'll just be over here, nursing my sunburn and reminiscing about cobblestones, bad coffee, and the general insanity of travel. And dreaming of a really good empanada. Consider this itinerary a warning, a guide, and maybe a slightly unhinged travelogue. You've been warned, and I hope you enjoy it!
Beachfront Paradise! Your Dreamy 1-Bedroom Awaits in Bibione!
Escape to Colombia's Hidden Gem: Duruelo Villa de Leyva's Luxurious Retreat - The Unfiltered FAQs
1. Okay, spill the beans... Is Duruelo *really* as magical as it looks in the photos? Because, let's be honest, Instagram lies.
Alright, fine. Let's get the dirt out of the way. Yeah, the photos are gorgeous. *Shocking, I know*. But, the reality? Duruelo… It’s like they took all the best parts of a fairytale, sprinkled it with Colombian sunshine, and said, "Here, have this." I’m not even kidding, the sunrises? Forget them. I'm telling you, I'm not a morning person, but I actually *wanted* to drag myself out of bed to see them. They’re like, pure, unadulterated joy. It's not always *perfect*—we'll get to the occasional power outage later (*shudders*). But the magic? Yeah, it’s there. Deep breath. Okay, I'm in love. There, I said it.
2. Luxury? What *kind* of luxury are we talking? Because "luxury" can mean anything these days.
Okay, luxury. This isn’t the *fancy* luxury, you know? White-gloved butlers and the whole shebang. (Although the staff are *phenomenal*—more on them later!). This is the *real* kind of luxury. It's the kind that lets you breathe. Think: massive, insanely comfortable beds you could get lost in (and I did, more than once). Bathrooms so spacious you could do yoga in them (also, I did that). Freshly-squeezed juice delivered to your outdoor patio, just because. The *silence*. Oh my god, the silence. It's the kind of luxury that feels restorative. It's about feeling pampered without feeling stuffy. And the food... *chef's kiss*. Seriously, I'm still dreaming about the arepas.
3. Villa de Leyva itself... Is it a tourist trap? Should I even bother leaving the glorious Duruelo?
Okay, truth time. Villa de Leyva *is* touristy. Let's not pretend. You'll see plenty of gringos (like me!), and the main square gets packed. But here’s the thing: it’s touristy for a *reason*. It's utterly charming. Think cobblestone streets, whitewashed buildings, and a central plaza that feels like it's straight out of a movie. Don’t expect unspoiled authenticity - expect a vibrant, lively town. Definitely explore! The main square is a must-see, grab an ice cream, wander around, and breathe in the atmosphere. But listen to me – don’t spend all your time there. You'll want to go back to Duruelo to decompress.
4. What’s the food situation like? I’m a picky eater/have dietary restrictions/am just plain *hungry*.
The food? Okay, the food. At Duruelo, expect *amazing* food. I'm not talking about a tiny, pretentious portions either. Generous, flavorful, and made with fresh, local ingredients. They were incredibly accommodating of my friend Karen's gluten allergy (thanks, guys!). And if you have a specific craving? Just ask! The staff bends over backwards to make you happy. Outside the villa, in Villa de Leyva, you'll find plenty of options, catering to all kinds of tastes. Don't skip the *ajiaco*--the local chicken and potato soup. I’m literally salivating thinking about it. Just… be prepared to eat. A lot. My jeans may or may not have gotten a little tighter. Worth it. 100%.
5. The staff… How’s the service? Any horror stories? (I’m a high-maintenance traveler, sue me).
Okay, listen up, because this is a big one. The staff at Duruelo? They're angels. Seriously. They're warm, friendly, helpful, and genuinely seem to care about your experience. I’m talking about everyone - from the chefs to the housekeepers to the people who made my morning coffee perfect. I'm talking five-star hotel service. My friend Sarah, who can be a *nightmare* with service (sorry, Sarah!), was raving about them. No horror stories. Seriously. This is probably the single best aspect of the experience. I felt like I was at home, but someone else was doing the dishes. Which is what I consider ideal frankly.
6. Are there any downsides? Because nothing's *perfect*. Spill the tea!
Alright, fine. Here’s the real deal. It’s not 100% flawless. First: the power *did* go out once. For about an hour. It was after sunset. In the middle of a thunderstorm. I'm not going to lie, I panicked a *little*. (Okay, a lot.) But the staff was on it immediately, lighting candles, bringing us wine, and generally making everything okay. And second, it is a bit further from Bogota than I initially realized. So, I would encourage you to take advantage of transport that is offered to you. And even if there are any problems, just remember, you're in paradise (with potentially spotty Wi-Fi…but who cares?).
7. Activities? What's there to *do* besides lie on a ridiculously comfortable sun lounger?
Okay, while lying on the sun lounger *is* a valid activity (and one I highly recommend), there's actually plenty to do. Horseback riding! Stargazing (the night sky is incredible)! Hiking in the surrounding hills! Visiting the *Casa Terracota* (a giant, hand-made ceramic house…it’s wild!). Exploring nearby towns! Taking a cooking class! You name it. Or, you know, doing absolutely *nothing*. That's a perfectly acceptable option too. I spent a whole afternoon just reading by the pool, and it was the best afternoon of my life. Okay, maybe not the *best*, but it was right up there.
8. Let’s talk money. Is this place going to break the bank?
Okay, let's get real. Duruelo isn't *cheap*. This is not a budget backpacker kind of place. But considering the level of luxury, the service, and the overall experience, it's actually… reasonable. Especially when compared to similar properties in, say, Europe or the US. I’d argue that it's worth every penny. You're paying for an experience - for an escapeSave On Hotels Now

