
Batam's BEST Kept Secret: Mak Yes' SPOT ON 93446 Paradise Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, 'cause we're about to dive headfirst into the, ahem, Paradise that is Mak Yes' SPOT ON 93446 in Batam. Let me tell you, getting here felt like stumbling upon a secret portal to, well, something other. And listen, I'm going to be brutally honest, this isn't your polished, cookie-cutter review. This is the real deal. Let's get messy!
Accessibility - A Mixed Bag, Honestly
Okay, let's rip the band-aid off first, yeah? Accessibility? It's… a work in progress, shall we say. While they do technically list “Facilities for disabled guests,” and the presence of an elevator is a huge plus, the actual degree of accessibility is hazy. I didn't see any specific mention of ramps, accessible bathrooms, or the like. So, if mobility is a major concern double check with the hotel directly before you book!
On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges? That one, I couldn't personally confirm. I was too busy stuffing my face with… well, we'll get there.
Internet - The Lifeline (and a bit sketchy)
Wi-Fi - Free in all Rooms! Yes! That's what I wanted to hear after traveling for hours. AND they actually deliver. Seriously, the Wi-Fi [free] in the room was a lifesaver, especially because I needed to get some (very important) work done. The internet access [LAN] thing? I didn't bother – Wi-Fi was quick, clean, and simple. Internet services overall – decent. I managed to upload my (very flattering) selfie on Instagram with zero lag. Hallelujah! Wi-Fi in public areas was also available, but maybe I did not test it often.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax – Ooh, the Good Stuff!
Okay, this is where things get interesting. Buckle up, because you're about to hear about the spa…
Body scrub… Maybe? I didn't personally try it. Body wrap… Ditto. Fitness center… hmm, I saw a gym. Foot bath… I did not. Gym/fitness… They had a gym! (See above) Massage… Oh. My. God. Get the massage. Seriously. I booked the "Balinese bliss" and I swear I drifted off to another dimension. The masseuse was amazing! Definitely helps one relax, and take away that stress. It was my oasis and I wanted to stay forever. Pool with a view… YES. Oh YES! More on this later. Sauna… Nope, I think not. Spa… The spa experience overall, was divine. Spa/sauna… no. Steamroom… No luck. Swimming pool… Yes, and glorious! Swimming pool [outdoor]… Yes! See above.
Cleanliness and Safety – Feeling Safe and Sound?
Alright, let's be real. In this day and age, cleanliness and safety are paramount. They seem to take it seriously!
Anti-viral cleaning products… Good. Breakfast in room… Yes. Breakfast takeaway service… Yes. Cashless payment service… YES! Thank goodness. Daily disinfection in common areas… Noticed. Doctor/nurse on call… Good to know, hopefully I won't have to use it. First aid kit… Always a plus. Hand sanitizer… Everywhere. Hot water linen and laundry washing… Confirmed. Hygiene certification… Hopefully. Individually-wrapped food options… I saw some. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter… Okay. Professional-grade sanitizing services… Hopefully. Room sanitization opt-out available… Didn't see this. Rooms sanitized between stays… Yes. Safe dining setup… Yes. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items… Hopefully. Shared stationery removed… good Staff trained in safety protocol… They seemed pretty on the ball. Sterilizing equipment… Hopefully.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – Food Glorious Food!
Now, this is where things really start to shine. Batam, in general, is a foodie paradise, and Mak Yes delivered!
A la carte in restaurant… yes Alternative meal arrangement… Maybe. Asian breakfast… Excellent. Asian cuisine in restaurant… Yes! Bar… They had a bar! Bottle of water… Free! Breakfast [buffet]… Yep! The breakfast buffet was pretty solid! Breakfast service… Yup. Buffet in restaurant… See above. Coffee/tea in restaurant… plentiful Coffee shop… yes Desserts in restaurant… Yes! Happy hour… I'm in! International cuisine in restaurant… They did have some options. Poolside bar… Yes! That pool with a view? You can practically swim up to the bar! Restaurants…Several! Room service [24-hour]… YES! Salad in restaurant… Yep. Snack bar… Good. Soup in restaurant… yes Vegetarian restaurant… Yes! Western breakfast… Yes! Western cuisine in restaurant… Yes.
Services and Conveniences – The Nitty Gritty
Air conditioning in public area… YES! Audio-visual equipment for special events… I didn't see any huge events, but I got the impression they could accommodate it. Business facilities… They seemed to have some, but I was on vacation baby! Cash withdrawal… Sure Concierge… Yes, super helpful! Contactless check-in/out… Nice and easy. Convenience store… I think So. Currency exchange… Yep. Daily housekeeping… Absolutely! Doorman… Yes. Dry cleaning… I think so. Elevator… Yes. Essential condiments… Got it. Facilities for disabled guests… See above (accessibility). Food delivery… Possible. Gift/souvenir shop… Yep. Indoor venue for special events… Yeah! Invoice provided… Yes. Ironing service… Yes! Laundry service… Yes. Luggage storage… Yes. Meeting/banquet facilities… Oh yes. Meetings… Probably will be needed. Meeting stationery… Yes! On-site event hosting… Possible. Outdoor venue for special events… Plenty of space. Projector/LED display… Maybe. Safety deposit boxes… Yes. Seminars… Don't recall. Shrine… I wish. Smoking area… Yep. Terrace… Yes. Wi-Fi for special events… Likely. Xerox/fax in business center… Yes.
For the Kids – Family Fun?
Babysitting service… Available! Family/child friendly… I got a sense it was. Kids facilities… Maybe. Kids meal… Probably could be arranged.
Access, Safety & Security - Always Important!
CCTV in common areas… Yes. CCTV outside property… Yes. Check-in/out [express]… Yes. Check-in/out [private]… Yes! Couple's room… Available. Exterior corridor… Yes. Fire extinguisher… Present. Front desk [24-hour]… Yes. Hotel chain… Nope. Non-smoking rooms… Yes. Pets allowed… Pets not allowed. Proposal spot… Maybe, if you are trying to propose, go for it. Room decorations… Basic, but okay. Safety/security feature… Yes. Security [24-hour]… Yes. Smoke alarms… Yes. Soundproof rooms… Kinda. Getting around…
Airport transfer… Yes! Bicycle parking… Yes, but who needs a bike when you're in paradise? Car park [free of charge]… Score! Car park [on-site]… And even better! Car power charging station… Unclear. Taxi service… Yes! Valet parking… Yes.
Available in All Rooms – The Essentials
Okay, let's be real. You need your creature comforts!
Additional toilet… Yes! Air conditioning… Essential! Alarm clock… Yes. Bathrobes… YES! I lived in mine. **
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Hoang Linh Hotel, Buon Ma Thuot!
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's itinerary. This is Batam, baby, and we're about to get deliciously lost. And by "we," I mean me. This itinerary is mostly for me, a lone wolf with questionable navigation skills and a serious addiction to street food. SPOT ON 93446 Penginapan Mak Yes better be ready… because I am not.
Batam Bonanza: A Completely Unreliable Guide (May 14th - 18th)
(A disclaimer: this schedule is subject to spontaneous combustion, rerouting due to sudden cravings, and the overwhelming urge to nap. Proceed at your own peril.)
Day 1: Arrival & Utter Confusion (May 14th)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Arrive at Hang Nadim International Airport (BTH). Expect a massive wave of humid air to slap you in the face. It's like a welcoming committee of sticky. Pray you got a window seat so you can see what's what during the landing. Prepare to be hustled by a thousand eager taxi drivers. Negotiate like your life depends on it. (Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but you get the picture.)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Taxi (fingers crossed it's not a death trap… or smells too strongly of durian) to SPOT ON 93446 Penginapan Mak Yes. Crossing my fingers it's actually there. I've gotten lost in worse places… like my own apartment. Pray the driver understands (or pretends to) English.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Check into the Penginapan. Assess the situation. Does the AC work? Is the bed suspiciously clean? Crucial questions. Immediately unpack, because living out of a suitcase makes me feel even more discombobulated than usual. (This is also when the existential dread of being alone starts creeping in. Note to self: Pack a stress ball. And a good book. Preferably one without a complex plot).
- Late morning (10:00 AM): Attempt to actually leave the room. This is the hardest part. The allure of the air conditioning and questionable cable TV is STRONG.
- Late morning (11:00 AM): Walk to something called a "local eatery." I have approximately zero clue where I'm going, so I'm trusting Google Maps (a decision I'll probably regret). Hopefully, I won't get eaten by a stray dog (I've heard they're friendly…I hope so).
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Find the eatery! Order something I don't recognize. Embrace the mystery. Eat it. Hopefully, I won't get food poisoning. A little internal pep talk is in order. "You can do this! You're an adventurer! … You're also slightly terrified."
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Explore the area around the Penginapan. Get lost. Find something cool. Buy a suspicious-looking snack from a street vendor. Take photos of everything. People-watch. Reflect on the meaning of life (or at least, the meaning of this trip).
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): Return to the Penginapan. Nap. Regret all my life choices. Contemplate ordering a pizza, but then remember I'm in Indonesia, not Italy. Sigh.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Attempt to get lost again, but this time on purpose. Find a place to eat dinner. Maybe try to find a night market. (I love a good night market. If there are string lights and questionable meat on skewers, I'm in.)
- Night (8:00 PM): Get back to the Penginapan. Write in my journal. Plan tomorrow. Probably lie about how much fun I'm having. (Just kidding… mostly.)
- Night (9:00 PM): Pass out. Exhaustion is my friend.
Day 2: Seafood Serenade & Ferry Fury (May 15th)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Rise, after the most sleep I can get. Breakfast-hunting starts!
- Morning (9:00 AM): Find a restaurant that serves Roti Canai. Yum. Need my carbs.
- Morning (10:00 AM): Book a "ferry." Whatever that is. I hope it’s not a tiny boat and I get seasick.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): I have heard Batam is known for its seafood. So, seafood it is. Find a restaurant that smells overwhelmingly of the ocean. Order everything that moves. Especially the things I don’t know the names of. Risk it all!
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): After gorging on all the fruits of the sea, attempt to navigate to the ferry. The pressure builds.
- Late Afternoon (5:00 PM): Ferry ride! Cross my fingers it's not a death trap. Hopefully, I get a decent view and the sea breeze doesn't make me blow chunks.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner somewhere near the ferry. I'm probably starving after all the excitement.
- Night (9:00 PM): Back to the room. Maybe watch TV. Maybe watch a movie. Probably fall asleep.
Day 3: The Temples, The Torture (May 16th)
- Morning (7:00 AM): I woke up. Progress!
- Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast. Repeat.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Do some research for the temples. I have zero clues what I want to see.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Temple time! I hope I show the correct respect. I want to explore.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Find a massage shop. Need to unwind after the temples.
- Late Afternoon (5:00 PM): Rest back at the room. Pray for another day.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Eat.
- Night (9:00 PM): Sleep.
Day 4: Shopping Sprees & Spicy Regrets (May 17th)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Woke up. Hungry.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Shopping.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Eat all of the local foods.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): More shopping. I hope I can afford all this stuff.
- Late Afternoon (5:00 PM): Rest.
- Evening (7:00 PM): Eat again.
- Night (9:00 PM): Fall asleep.
Day 5: Departure & Existential Dread (May 18th)
- Morning (8:00 AM): Wake up. I have to fly home. I hate going home.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Eat breakfast.
- Morning (10:00 AM): Get my stuff ready to go.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Eat something before I leave.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Return to the airport. I hate flying.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): The end.
Final Thoughts:
This itinerary is a suggestion, a whisper, a fleeting thought in the vast, chaotic landscape of my Batam adventure. It's a roadmap to nowhere, a promise I'm likely to break. Batam, here I come. And if you see a slightly bewildered tourist wandering around, looking lost and covered in questionable food stains, say hey! I'm probably that person. Wish me luck… I'm going to need it. And bring snacks. And a phrasebook. Especially the phrase for "Where's the nearest toilet?" Just in case. Godspeed, me. Godspeed.
Unbelievable Monteverde Escape: Casas del Toro Awaits!
Batam's "Best Kept Secret" — Mak Yes' SPOT ON 93446 Paradise Awaits! ...or Does It? (Buckle Up, Buttercup!)
Okay, Spill the Tea! What *IS* this "Mak Yes' SPOT ON 93446"? Sounds fishy...or maybe delicious?
Alright, alright, settle down, you curious kitties! It's...well, it's a *place*. A place in Batam. Supposedly paradise. Specifically, located on the street that ends with 93446. Mak Yes is the host, or the gatekeeper...or the crazy lady serving the best dang *something* you've ever tasted, depending on who you ask. I heard about it from a guy on a rusty scooter who swore it was the key to enlightenment. (Spoiler alert: I think he'd consumed copious amounts of something *other* than enlightenment.)
So, is it a restaurant? A spa? A secret society of pineapple enthusiasts? WHAT AM I WALKING INTO?!
It's…complicated. The guy on the scooter said it was a "culinary experience." Honestly? It’s a bit of a hodgepodge. Think rickety tables under a tarp, the distant sound of chickens, and potentially the most mind-blowing seafood you’ve ever had the pleasure of devouring. Or, you know, it could be the worst meal of your life. My first visit? Let’s just say I ended up with a questionable stomach bug and a newfound appreciation for Pepto-Bismol. But also, this memory I'll never forget, of the perfect grilled fish and the laughing of the locals around me. It's a gamble, but hey, life is all about those, right?
What should I expect to eat? And more importantly, will it give me the runs? Be honest!
The menu? As ephemeral and elusive as a unicorn. You'll probably be offered whatever Mak Yes has cooked up that day. Seafood is the star, almost certainly. Expect grilled everything, maybe some soups, definitely rice. The spice level? Varies. Proceed with caution if you're not a fan of chili. As for the runs... look, I'm not a doctor. Let's just say it's highly advisable to bring your own roll. And maybe some anti-diarrheal meds. Better safe than sorry, especially after a few Bintangs. But! When it's good, it's *amazing*, honestly. The freshness is phenomenal. I dream of that grilled snapper. The flavor. It's worth the risk, most days.
Okay, let's talk money. How much damage am I looking at? Is it gonna break the bank?
Cheap! Ridiculously cheap. Like, you'll feel guilty cheap. I'm talking a few dollars will get you a feast. You could probably feed a small village for the price of a fancy latte back home. Just bring cash. Don't expect credit card machines, WiFi, or proper napkins. Embrace the rustic charm! And tip well. Seriously. These people are working *hard*. They deserve it. They put up with…us, the tourists. That in itself deserves a medal.
How do I *GET* there? Because "on the street ending in 93446" is about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.
This is where things get... interesting. You'll probably need a taxi or Grab (the local ride-hailing app). Ask your driver to take you to "Mak Yes' SPOT on 93446". Some drivers know the place. Others will give you a confused look. Be prepared to show them a map and possibly make some frantic phone calls. Navigation is a skill you will either master, or give up on. Let us be honest here, this is part of the adventure! And if you end up lost, hey, you are in Batam. This is part of the experience! Ask locals, they're generally friendly. Just be patient. And maybe bring a phrasebook.
What's the ambiance like? Is it suitable for a romantic date? (Or would I mortify my date?)
Romantic? Ummm… perhaps. The setting is… unrefined. Let's call it that. Picture this: plastic chairs, maybe a stray cat or two wandering around, the aroma of grilling seafood mixed with…well, who knows what. It's not the Ritz, folks. It's more like a hidden gem, worn with age and character. On my "romantic date" (which was, in retrospect, just a meal with a very patient friend) we shared a table with a bunch of laughing locals, which made it feel a little more like a village feast. Mortify? Possibly. Depends on your date's tolerance for "authenticity". I'd recommend going with someone you feel comfortable with. You know, the type of person who will laugh at the leaky roof with you. Or the questionable bathroom. Be very comfortable with them. You know, to get rid of that awkwardness. Or accept the awkwardness. Either way, no judgment.
Okay, you've mentioned health risks... What about hygiene? Should I bring my own silverware?
Your silverware? Possibly! Just kidding (mostly). The hygiene...listen. It's not going to be sparkling clean, and I am being honest here. Embrace the fact that you're in a somewhat remote location and that you may be putting yourself at risk. Think of it as an adventure. The locals eat there, and they're alive, right? But yes, consider bringing your own hand sanitizer and maybe a pack of wet wipes. Don't be afraid to judge. If you see something that looks truly concerning, then you should listen to your gut. Be the judge and the jury. This isn't the place to be overly precious, and if you don't want to risk a slight upset stomach, it’s not the place for you. My strategy? Order something cooked, cooked well, and hope for the best.
Worth the trip? Should I bother going, or just eat at the resort buffet and call it a day?
That, my friend, is the million-dollar question. The resort buffet is predictable. Safe. Boring! Mak Yes' SPOT... it's an experience. It's a gamble. You might have the time of your life. You might spend the next day glued to the toilet. But if you're looking for adventure, for something *different*, for a taste of authentic Batam...then yes. Go. Go with an open mind, a strong stomach (or at least some Pepto), and a sense of humor. The memories alone... I'll never forget the taste of that grilled fish, even with all the other not-so-good memories mixed in. But, I'm going back sometime, for the fish, the chaos, the adventure. To embrace the mystery! It's a big, messy, imperfect, and ultimately kinda wonderful trip. Go! Just... be prepared. You have been warned.

