
KL's BEST Muslim-Friendly Homestay: Shahana's Haven Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into the rabbit hole that is reviewing Shahana's Haven Awaits! – the supposed "BEST Muslim-Friendly Homestay" in KL. And let me tell you, after experiencing it, I've got MORE than a few opinions. Let's get this messy, chaotic, and hopefully helpful review going…
Shahana's Haven Awaits! - A Review That's More "Haven" Than "Chaos," Mostly…
First things first: Accessibility. Now, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I am a klutz, and the thought of navigating a place that's not well-thought-out makes me break out in a cold sweat. Thankfully, Shahana's claims to cater to those with disabilities, and while I couldn't personally verify the full extent of their accommodations (since I didn't arrive in a wheelchair, duh!), they do have an elevator. So, points for that. They've even got "Facilities for disabled guests" listed, which suggests they've put some thought into it. Whether that extends beyond the elevator and ramps (if any) is something you'd need to confirm directly with them.
Internet Access is a Must!
- Internet Access: They've got it. Phew.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!: HALLELUJAH! A modern marvel.
- Internet [LAN]: I'm old school, so I loved this. Perfect for when I needed to upload my "important" Excel documents that I was, ahem, supposedly working on.
- Internet services: Yeah, they exist.
- Wi-Fi in public areas: Spotty, at times. Don't expect to stream a movie in the lobby.
On-site Restaurants & Lounges: A Mixed Bag
Okay, listen up. This is where things get… interesting. They've got a restaurant, and it serves Asian breakfast. Which, for a place claiming to be Muslim-friendly, makes sense. BUT, if you're anything like me, you want options. And they do, with both Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, and Western cuisine in restaurant all listed! They also got a coffee shop and snack bar. Desserts in restaurant! Yes, please!
But my real problem? The vibe. It felt a bit… clinical. Like, everything was perfectly placed, but it lacked that warm, inviting feel. I wanted a place to lounge, not just eat and run. They list a Poolside bar as one of their options, I was looking forward to that, but, alas, the pool was closed for "maintenance". They also list a Happy hour and a Bar, but the drinks selection was pretty basic. The food was decent, but nothing to write home about. However, the important part: Everything was halal, which is the whole point, right? And the restaurant also has Vegetarian restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement AND Breakfast takeaway service, a really great point.
Cleanliness and Safety - The Stuff That Matters!
This is where Shahana's Haven really shines. They know their audience. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. They also have Hand sanitizer everywhere. Hygiene certification? Check. Staff trained in safety protocol? Double-check. In a post-pandemic world, this is HUGE. I felt genuinely safe, not just physically, but also mentally. Bonus points for First aid kit and Doctor/nurse on call - peace of mind is priceless. Individually-wrapped food options – genius. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items – THANK YOU. They even have Room sanitization opt-out available if you really, really don’t like the idea of your space being cleaned before you arrive.
The only minor annoyance: The constant reminders. Like, every five seconds, there’s a poster, a sign, a pamphlet… It starts to feel a little… much. However, better safe than sorry, right?
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Fuel of Life
Look, let's be real: I'm a food fiend. And for me, Shahana's was… well, it could have been better. They list a ton of options: A la carte in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet] (I'm a sucker for a buffet!), Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Room service [24-hour] – which I definitely took advantage of. Salad in restaurant is the light option here. Soup in restaurant is the cozy option. And Desserts in restaurant are where all my money went.
But… the details. The coffee was weak. The buffet was a bit repetitive. The service, while always polite, felt a touch slow. The food's quality was good enough, but it could have been better. I missed that feeling of discovery, of being genuinely impressed.
Things To Do/Ways to Relax
- Swimming pool and Swimming pool [outdoor]: They have ONE. Beautiful. Perfect. BUT – it was closed!! Because, maintenance. Sigh. I'm sensing a theme here…
- Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Listed. I didn't try them because, well, I'm lazy. But hey, they're there!
- Massage: Yes. I got one. It was… okay. Not the best I've ever had, but it did the trick.
- Fitness center/Gym/fitness: Basic. Functional. Gets the job done.
- Foot Bath/Body Scrub/Body wrap: Are on offer.
Services and Conveniences
This is where Shahana's Haven really tries to impress. They have everything. Everything. Air conditioning in public area, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities. You name it, they probably have it.
The Contactless check-in/out was fantastic, and the 24-hour front desk made me feel safe. The Convenience store was handy for snacks. They also offer Car park [free of charge]. I’d advise you use the Car park [on-site] for better security. They have Airport transfer and Taxi service, but, I used Car park [free of charge] to drive myself, and have a car.
For the Kids
Listed, and they are: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal – basically, this place seems geared towards families. This is a HUGE plus for Muslim families traveling with children and needing to find the perfect place.
In-Room Goodies
Now, this is where things get interesting.
- Air conditioning: Essential.
- Alarm clock: Useful.
- Bathrobes and Slippers: Sweet, comfortable.
- Bathtub and Separate shower/bathtub: Okay, a bit weird, but hey, options.
- Blackout curtains: YES! I need my beauty sleep.
- Coffee/tea maker and Complimentary tea: Crucial for my sanity.
- Desk and Laptop workspace: Good for when I pretended to work.
- Free bottled water: Always appreciated.
- Hair dryer: Necessary.
- High floor: My room was not really high, I think, but it was fine.
- In-room safe box: A good idea.
- Ironing facilities: Thank you.
- Minibar and Refrigerator: Essential for late-night snacks.
- Non-smoking: Obviously.
- Private bathroom and Toiletries: A given.
- Reading light: I never used it.
- Satellite/cable channels: Excellent.
- Seating area and Sofa: My room was a nice suite and gave more than enough space.
- Soundproofing: Needed!
- Telephone: Useless, I hate phone calls.
- Wake-up service: Thank God I have my phone.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Obvs.
- Window that opens: Always a plus!
The Quirks, the Imperfections, and the Honest Truth
Okay, let's be real: Shahana's Haven isn't perfect. It's a bit… sterile. The vibe could be warmer. Some of the amenities were unavailable due to "maintenance". The food could be better.
BUT! It’s CLEAN. It’s SAFE. It’s Muslim-friendly. And, for a place this size, that’s pretty darn impressive.
The Anecdote
Okay, so picture this: It’s 2 AM. I
Manila Minimalist Condo Paradise: Unlimited WiFi & Netflix!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your sanitized, brochure-perfect itinerary. This is real life in Kuala Lumpur, with all the delicious messiness it entails, from a stay at the Shahana Homestay. Get ready for a rollercoaster of mosques, markets, and maybe a little bit of indigestion (hey, it happens!).
Shahana Homestay Kuala Lumpur: A Muslim Traveler's Tale (with a Side of Sass)
Day 1: Arrival, Awkwardness, and Amazing Nasi Lemak
Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Ugh, the flight. Let's just say budget airlines and my bladder are not friends. Finally, Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA)! The immigration line? A test of my patience, let me tell you. The headscarf check? Smooth sailing, thankfully. Feeling slightly woozy from travel, but hey, Malaysia, here I am! Grab an airport taxi - haggling is already on the cards, but as usual I'm not up to the challenge. We'll see.
Morning (9:00 AM - 10:00 AM): Arrival at Shahana Homestay. Honestly, the pictures online don't quite do it justice. It's…cozier. Let's call it that. The host, a lovely woman named Fatima (I think? My brain's fried), greets me with a very warm smile and a hand full of keys and rules. Gotta remember all the rules (prayer times, no porky things, blah, blah, blah). I'm terrible at rules, honestly. But, okay. I'll try. She's so welcoming!
Morning (10:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Shower, unpack (because, as a chronic over-packer, I brought everything but the kitchen sink), and a quick prayer. The room is small, clean enough, and has that distinct "grandma's house" aroma (in a good way, I swear!).
Lunch (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): This is where it gets good. Fatima directs me to a hidden gem of a hawker stall a few blocks away. Nasi Lemak. Oh. My. God. The rice, fluffy and coconutty, the chili sambal, a fiery dance on my tongue, the crispy anchovies, the peanuts… I could have happily eaten three plates. I may have even hummed while devouring it. Don't judge me. I was hungry, okay!
Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Okay, so this is where I realized I'm terrible at navigating. Google Maps is my frenemy. The plan was to walk to the nearest mosque, but I ended up wandering around a residential area for a solid hour. I finally gave up and went back to the homestay, feeling a little defeated.
Late Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Prayer, rest, and attempt to organize my thoughts. Journaling, with a cup of super-strong Malaysian coffee. I'm realizing how much I love journaling. It feels… cathartic.
Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner at a local restaurant Fatima (bless her!) recommended. Had chicken curry. It was spicy, delicious, and I promptly spilled half of it down my front. Embarrassing. But the waiter (a ridiculously handsome young man) was very kind and brought me a wet wipe. Maybe Kuala Lumpur isn't so bad after all…
Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Back at the homestay. Trying to sleep, but the street noise is relentless. Apparently, everything's open until midnight, and that's a major culture shock for this sleepy European.
Day 2: Petronas Twin Towers, Lost and Found (and Feisty Ladies)
Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Prayer, breakfast (basic, but the papaya was surprisingly delicious), and another attempt to conquer the KL transportation system. Today: the Petronas Twin Towers!
Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): The Petronas Towers. Majestic. Iconic. Overwhelmingly crowded. The ticket line was a nightmare. But the view from the Skybridge? Worth it. Breath-taking. I spent a lot of time pointing, ooh-ing and aah-ing at the cityscape and the building itself. I felt like I'm standing on a cloud!
Lunch (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Okay, so I'm getting the hang of things, but also, slightly hangry. Ended up at a food court in the Suria KLCC (the mall at the base of the towers). Everything looked good, with halal options, yet I felt completely lost and overwhelmed. So, naturally, I opted for chicken rice, which made me even more hungry.
Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Lost. Again. Trying to find the Islamic Arts Museum. Wandered around the shopping malls instead. I am terrible at following directions! Found myself in some expensive shops. Window shopping is my favorite hobby, especially when I can't afford the things.
Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Finally found the Islamic Arts Museum! And it was FANTASTIC. So many beautiful artifacts, intricate designs, and calligraphic masterpieces. I spent ages wandering through the exhibits, completely absorbed. Then, while having a snack on the way out, I lost one of my favorite earrings! This sent me into a temporary spiral of despair.
Late Afternoon (6:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Backtracked to the entrance, explained my situation to the security guards, and was escorted back through the museum. This is where things got interesting. Apparently, two of the female guides had heard my story, and they were determined to help me find it. They were so spirited, with an incredible amount of energy! We spent the next hour combing the floor for the lost earring. We even crawled under display cases! With their help, I was able to find it. Hurrah!
Evening (7:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner near the mosque. Finally, got to pray together with the others.
Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Journaling. Exhausted but happy. Kuala Lumpur is a city of contrasts: beautiful, frustrating, overwhelming, and utterly captivating. I'm starting to get to grips with it.
Day 3: Batu Caves, Chaos, and Culinary Adventures (with a Side of Tears)
Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Prayer. Breakfast. Trying to convince myself to go to the Batu Caves. I'd heard it was… intense. I'm not really feeling up to the stairs, but I really want to do it.
Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): The Batu Caves. Okay, wow. Just… wow. The sheer scale of the place is incredible. The climb up the 272 steps was brutal. I swore I might pass out from the heat! The monkeys are absolute menaces. I saw one snatch a lady's bag and run off with it. Hilarious (from a distance, of course!). The view from the top was worth it, though. Absolutely stunning panorama! The golden statue of Murugan is spectacular.
Lunch (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): A vegetarian Indian restaurant near the caves. The food was delicious, and I had some time to reflect (and recover my breath) after the climb. I didn't eat too much, because I hate feeling so full, and I had to do a lot of walking.
Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): A massive monsoon rainstorm that resulted in me hiding in a shopping mall. While waiting for the rain to stop, I came across a lovely little shop selling traditional Malaysian crafts. I bought a few souvenirs, including a batik scarf. It was a welcome respite.
Late Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Back at the homestay, I found out my flight was delayed! I spent a lot of time complaining to Fatima about my problems. She listened and reassured me. Honestly, she's a saint. She gave me some tips on things to do that I was unable to do. Eventually I went to my room and burst into tears. I was just so tired!
Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner at a restaurant not to far away. One last amazing meal of Satay, curry, and noodles. I ate way too much, but I don't care. I am going to miss Kuala Lumpur and its food!
Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Packing. Reflecting. This trip has been a mess. But it has been my mess. And I

So, is Shahana’s Haven REALLY "Muslim-Friendly"? Like, *actually*?
Okay, this is the BIG ONE. And the answer, after my stay? Mostly. They *say* they're Muslim-friendly, and they *do* try. There's prayer mats, a Qibla direction on the wall, and they claim the kitchen is halal. But (and this is a BUT the size of a durian fruit), I got a whiff of something…*vaguely* porky in the air one morning. Okay, maybe it was just my imagination fuelled by intense hunger and the general fear of accidentally eating something haram. I didn’t see any, hear any, but my nose...it knows?! Honestly, I would have asked Shahana, but she wasn't around much, and I hate to pry. So, yeah, proceed with a *tiny* bit of caution, especially if you're SUPER strict. Pack your own travel-sized prayer rug and maybe a stash of halal-certified snacks, just in case.
What about the LOCATION? Everyone says it's "convenient"...is it *actually*?
Convenient… *depending*. The brochure (lol, yes, they still have brochures!) makes it sound like you're practically *in* the Petronas Towers. And sure, it's close-ish to public transport. But, here's the REALITY: Getting to the train station involves a sweaty 15-minute walk dodging rogue motorbikes and the occasional flock of pigeons. And "close" to attractions means a taxi ride or a lengthy bus journey. I mean, I’m not saying I’m a princess, but trekking through KL in the humidity in the mornings?! I'm basically melting into the sidewalk. The location is *fine*. Not stellar. Not a deal-breaker. Just… be prepared to sweat and plan your routes carefully. Also, the traffic is a NIGHTMARE. Seriously. Factor that in. And maybe order some grab food for dinner, I did that a few times because I couldn’t face leaving the Haven.
The photos make the place look… pretty. Is it?
Okay, the photos. They're… curated. Let’s just say that. It's *charming*. It's…lived-in. The *outside* is pretty. It is. There’s some nice landscaping, but the inside is less magazine-worthy and more, well, "homestay-esque." There's a lot of… stuff. Knick-knacks, family photos, a slightly wonky TV in the living room. It felt like a real home, which is great, but also meant there were some… imperfections. One day, I noticed a pretty significant crack in the bathroom tile. It didn’t bother me, but you know… the pristine hotel experience? Nope (And I am NEVER picky, honestly!)
What's the deal with Shahana herself! Is she a good host?
Here’s where it gets a little…complicated. Shahana *seems* lovely. She's friendly, speaks good English, and is very welcoming when you *do* see her, which, I have to say, wasn't often. She’s clearly busy. I think I only met her once, because I was there in the middle of the week, and I guess she was working. But she does have a super-helpful family member that will pop his head around the corner (I can't remember his name!) And, okay, I will admit, one night when I got completely and utterly lost and could only vaguely describe my location (taxi drivers, am I right?), Shahana’s daughter answered the phone and helped me, and that was really kind of her. But overall... She isn’t exactly the most present host. It’s more of a "check-in-and-leave-you-to-it" kind of vibe. Which, honestly, can be a plus. Unless you *need* something, and then you gotta call, and sometimes it's hard to get ahold of them.
Let’s talk about the BREAKFAST! The brochure promised...well, *breakfast*.
Breakfast. Ah, yes. The often-overlooked aspect. My experience? It was…variable. The first day, it was a decent nasi lemak with a delicious sambal. Score! Subsequent days were… less impressive. Sometimes, it was toast and instant coffee. Other times, there was fruit. One day (and this is the day I started to suspect something fishy in the pork department), there was absolutely NOTHING, not even the toast. I was so hungry, I nearly just dug straight into that nasi lemak I'd seen. I ended up going to a local cafe instead., and I’m not going to lie, the cafe was amazing, but it definitely cut into my budget. So, yeah, breakfast is a gamble. Don't bank on it. Pack some instant noodles or whatever you can grab from 7-Eleven (there's one nearby, thank GODS).
Okay, so the wifi! Is it even usable?
The wifi. *Cue dramatic music.* It was… OKAY. Sometimes. Other times, it was slower than a snail on a treadmill. I did manage to stream some shows, and it was generally fine for basic internet tasks. However, if you *rely* on lightning-fast internet for work or video calls…prepare to be frustrated. Download some offline entertainment *before* you arrive. Just in case. And maybe bring a good book.
Would you stay at Shahana's Haven again? Be HONEST!
This is the million-dollar question, eh? Honestly? Probably. I wouldn't shout about it from the rooftops, but... it's a decent, affordable, and reasonably comfortable option. It’s not a luxurious getaway, and you have to be prepared to roll with the punches a little. But, if you're looking for a place to crash that’s *mostly* Muslim-friendly that's not a sterile hotel, and you don't mind a bit of imperfection… Then yeah, Shahana’s Haven is… alright. *shrugs* It’s also cheaper than the hotels. And the location, though not ideal, is still perfectly fine. It really just depends on what you’re looking for. I certainly wouldn’t book it for a romantic getaway or if I had a high-maintenance travel party, but for a solo traveler on a budget? Sure, it'll do. But pack snacks, and bring your own earplugs (the traffic noise can be a bit much). And maybe, just maybe, bring a portable wifi hotspot. Just in case. You never know.

